Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
Remove a Single Excel Hyperlink
If you need to remove hyperlinks in excel, this is a simple process if you have only one or two hyperlinks.
For each cell containing a hyperlink, simply right-click on the cell, using the mouse, and select the option
Although this is quick and simple for a small number of hyperlinks, it can be a slow and repetitive task if you have
a large number of hyperlinks that you want to remove.
How to Remove Several Hyperlinks at Once
As there is no built-in Excel command to remove several hyperlinks at once, the
Microsoft Office Website
suggests the following workaround:
- Type the number 1 in an empty cell
- Copy this cell (by either pressing CTRL-C or by right-clicking on the cell with the mouse,
and selecting Copy from the menu that pops up)
- Select all the cells that you want to remove the hyperlinks from (by either clicking on the first
cell, then pressing the CTRL key while clicking on each additional cell, or by using the mouse to select a range of cells)
- With the mouse, right-click on any of the selected cells and select Paste Special...
- The Paste Special options window will pop up. Select the option Multiply and click OK
Use a Macro to Remove all Hyperlinks in Excel
Another way to quickly remove all hyperlinks in an Excel spreadsheet is to write a simple macro.
The process for creating a macro to do this is described below:
' Code to Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Press ALT-F11 (i.e. press ALT and while this is depressed, press F11), to bring up the Visual Basic Editor
- Double click on the option ThisWorkbook in the Project Window, at the left of the
Visual Basic Editor (see image below)
- Type (or copy and paste) the VBA code on the right, into the code window, as shown below
- Close the VBA Editor (by clicking on the X in the top right of the window)
To run this macro:
- Select the worksheet that you want to remove the hyperlinks from
- Press ALT-F8
- From the 'Macro' window that pops up, select the macro ThisWorkbook.RemoveAllHyperlinks and click Run