Excel Zoom Menu
The Excel zoom feature changes the scale that a spreadsheet is viewed electronically. This does not change the underlying characteristics of your spreadsheet, and so a printout of the spreadsheet remains constant, regardless of the selected zoom level.
In Excel 2007 and later versions of Excel, the main Zoom option is located in the View tab, and in Excel 2003, the Zoom... option can be found in the View drop-down menu.
Selecting the Excel Zoom option causes the Zoom options window to pop up. This window gives you the option to select a set magnification (eg. 200%, 400%, etc.), or to specify a magnification of your own.
The window also gives you the option to zoom to selection, which adjusts the zoom scale to fit any currently selected cells into the current view.
Shortcuts to some of these options are presented on the ribbon in Excel 2007 and later versions of Excel, or on the formatting toolbar in Excel 2003.
For example, in Excel 2007 and later versions of Excel, you can return to the spreadsheet's original size by a single click of the 100% zoom icon, or you can zoom to the current selected range of cells by a single click of the Zoom to Selection icon, both of which are provided on the ribbon (under the View tab).
Excel Zoom to Display Named Ranges
If you zoom your Excel worksheet to less than 40%, Excel automatically displays all your named ranges, as shown in the above image on the left.
This can be useful for helping you to keep track of the named ranges in your worksheet.
Excel Zoom Keyboard Shortcut
If, at any time, you want to quickly access the zoom window, you can simply press:
I.e. press the ALT key, and while keeping this depressed, press V and then Z.
Excel Zoom on Roll With IntelliMouse
Alternatively, if you have a mouse with a roller wheel, you can select the Excel option Zoom on roll with IntelliMouse. This enables the user to zoom in or out of a spreadsheet by rolling the wheel on the mouse up or down.
The Zoom on roll with IntelliMouse option is found in the following locations:
In Excel 2010 or Excel 2013:
- Select the File tab, and from this, select Options
- The Zoom on roll with IntelliMouse option is found in the Advanced section of the Excel 2010 Options menu
In Excel 2007:
- Select the main Excel menu (by selecting the Excel Logo on the top left of the spreadsheet), and from this, select Options
- The Zoom on roll with IntelliMouse option is found in the Advanced section of the Excel 2007 Options menu
In Excel 2003:
- Select Tools→Options..., to open up the Options window
- The Zoom on roll with IntelliMouse option is found in the General tab of the Excel 2003 Options window